As we prepare to take on the weekend, we thought we'd share a brunch idea for your to whip up!
Here's a feta cheese and spinach tart you and your family will love!
- 7 ounces spinach (200g, do NOT use chard) or 7 ounces baby spinach leaves (200g, do NOT use chard)
- 7 ounces feta cheese (200 g, blotted dry if in brine)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped (125 ml, spring onion, or shallots)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (125 ml, I used a thick creme fraiche, or use sour cream OR USE GREEK YOGHURT)
- 4 eggs, largest size
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (5 ml, or use any hot sauce)
- 1⁄2teaspoon nutmeg, ground (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius If you have a convection/fan oven, lower heat slightly.
- Grease a normal-sized pie tin or tart plate with butter.
- In a large bowl, tear up the spinach leaves. To make this less "rustic", LOL, you can chop the leaves finely!
- Crumble the feta cheese over the leaves and add the chopped green/spring onions.
- In another bowl, beat the cream with the eggs until well beaten and very smooth. DO use thick cream: the creme fraiche we get is slightly softer than the consistency of cream cheese, which is great! Or use sour cream, which is thicker than plain cream.
- Add to the bowl of vegetables, Tabasco, and if you like, the nutmeg.
- Stir this whole funny mess together.
- Scrape into the greased tart plate, and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 - 35 minutes, When done, it will be puffed up slightly in the centre, and will not wobble when you shake it. Can wait in a warming oven.