The Truth About Being Busy and Stress
Have you ever asked yourself the following questions?
- How our value depends on how much we do?
- How we admire sleep deprived workaholics?
- How bad we feel when we say no to someone?
- How guilty we feel if we can't take someone’s call?
- How we think we’re being lazy when we sleep in or spend the day indoors?
It’s fair then to say that we’ve bought into the idea that being busy is a good thing.
Turns out that our biggest problem is not that we don’t do enough. Actually, our biggest problem is that we do too much of the wrong things.
Being busy actually makes you more stressed and less productive. Every decision you make has an opportunity cost. When you choose one thing, you aren’t choosing several others.
In the end, we need to choose what matters most to us. If we attempt to be everything, we’ll end up being nothing, and that internal conflict is a force to be reckoned with.